Saturday, June 09, 2007

Writers Need Apply

Steve Rubel hits on a workplace skill that I've always found to be very important to my career advancement.

Writing not your forte? That was just fine 10 years ago, but not anymore. Writing is how business gets done. Communication inside corporations will shift somewhat away from email to wikis and blogs, but that doesn't really change the need for this skill.
I feel that my solid writing skills have played a part in earning me a promotion or two. The most positive feedback that I've experienced in my career has centered around my ability to write well about many different topics relating to our business.

I've observed that most people I've worked with have shown little interest in writing and certainly not in trying to craft a nicely flowing piece of narrative. Hence, the opportunity for me to swoop in, put fingers to keyboard and save the day.

No comments: